Friday 29 September 2023

The Fun of Rekindling the Spark of an Old Flame!




By Candida

There is something undeniably exciting about rekindling a connection with an old flame. The memories, the shared history, and the curiosity about what could have been all come rushing back, creating a sense of adventure and possibility. Recently, I had the unexpected pleasure of running into Bolaji, someone I hadn't seen in over 15 years, and it turned out to be a delightful journey down memory lane.

Our story began years ago when Bolaji pursued me relentlessly. He wooed me with dinners, fancy presents, and long, amusing conversations. Eventually, we became lovers. At that time, I had just left my husband and was nursing a broken heart, while Bolaji had reappeared in my life after a period of wondering where he had been. Life couldn't have been better.

However, our romance took an unexpected turn when my ex-husband, whom I refer to as CTB, showed up while Bolaji was visiting my flat. Bolaji, sensing the tension, made a swift exit, leaving me bewildered. It turned out that CTB was Bolaji's chairman in a political party's committee, and Bolaji didn't want any trouble with him. As a result, he distanced himself from me.

Months passed without any contact between us until one Sunday, I bumped into Bolaji at a filling station. I was furious with him for disappearing without a word, and I confronted him. To my surprise, he didn't seem guilty or remorseful. Instead, he explained that he had recognized CTB as his chairman and financial supporter when he visited my place. Fearing potential conflict, he chose to stay away. That encounter marked the last time I saw him until our recent reunion on a plane bound for Britain.

Travelling together proved to be a joyous experience. Bolaji shared that his first grandchild was going to be christened the next day and insisted that I attend. He had booked a service flat for himself, as he had fathered the child before getting married. After exchanging phone numbers, we parted ways temporarily.

The following day, Bolaji guided me over the phone to the venue of the naming ceremony. He even paid for the cab that brought me there. As the day progressed, it felt like we were on a first date all over again. The connection between us was undeniable, and I found myself enjoying his company more and more.

In a surprising turn of events, Bolaji offered to join me on a weekend trip to visit a friend outside London. He arranged his own accommodation at a bed and breakfast, and we had a wonderful time together. My friend was astounded when she saw him, and thanks to Bolaji's generosity, I didn't have to worry about expenses during the trip. He even treated my friend's family to an extravagant dinner on our last evening.

When we returned to London, I decided to stay with Bolaji. The week we spent together was nothing short of amazing. He discreetly asked if I was still seeing CTB, and although I confirmed that I was, he seemed a bit disappointed. We both understood that crossing paths with CTB would complicate things, so we chose not to pursue a romantic relationship.

During my time with Bolaji, I witnessed his busy social life in Lagos. His phone constantly rang, and he had commitments and responsibilities that kept him occupied. Nevertheless, he made me feel like a priority, devoting his attention to our time together. At the end of his visit, his daughter, who seemed to enjoy my company, brought in foodstuff to stock the flat.

I agreed to stay in the flat until Bolaji's lease ran out, and my friends were more than happy to help me finish the leftover food and drinks. The remainder of my holiday was filled with tidbits of news from Nigeria, which proved to be more interesting than the mundane stories on the news networks. It appeared that Nigerian parties had lost some of their previous extravagance, possibly due to the economic downturn or the passage of time.

As I prepared to explore the city with old friends, I pondered whether we still had the ability to create the same excitement and shake things up as we did in the past. With Maggie, an old Irish classmate, and a few others by my side, we embarked on a journey to revisit the scenes of our youthful adventures.

Rekindling the spark of an old flame can be a thrilling and nostalgic experience. It allows us to rediscover the bonds we once shared and explore the possibilities of what could have been. While the circumstances may not always align for a romantic reunion, the joy of reconnecting and reliving cherished memories is a treasure in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barely 24 Hours After Army's Exit Okuama-Ewu Community Confronts Invaders in Violent Clash

According to an article published by Vanguard News on May 10, 2024, a clash occurred in the Okuama-Ewu Community in Ughelli Sout...